Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Boosterthon Fun Run!

Someone out there is an absolute genius!!  Instead of selling cookie dough or wrapping paper or candy bars my kid had to beg for money (pledges) and run to earn it! I LOVE this idea because I didn't have to sell anything and the kids really seemed to have a great time the whole week the Boosterthon team was at the school. Megan came home from school with new stories every day about their Boosterthon experience (and asking me to beg for more money). They taught them health and fitness as well as friendship. It is sort of a "don't get fat and don't bully your friends while you make money for your school" type of thing but it seems to be a winner and I really hope it sticks around for the rest of our time in Frisco ISD. Who knows ... if we end up moving maybe I will bring it to our new school because it was that awesome. I have no idea yet how much money the school raised but they got $140 from Megan.

The run was at 8:30 last Wednesday  morning at the park between our neighborhood and the school. I decided not to actually volunteer because I had the littles with me. They were bored and wanted to go to the playground. Even though we were just watching, from outside the course, at the park NOT on school grounds, I had to drag them into the office to sign in and get a badge. I never signed out. Wonder if they're calling SWAT in to search the halls for me yet? 

The DJ was loud and Matthew has to do everything Emily does. 



The Kindergartners doing their warm up before the run!



Megan's in the back with her little friends. So cute!



Run, Megan! Run!!!



The goal was for each child to run 35 laps. The course was supposedly 1/16 of a mile but I'm pretty sure Megan didn't run 2 miles. They weren't out there long enough OR they totally blew my mile pace away. Kinder and first grade ran at the same time, followed by second and third, then fourth and fifth. If we are still here, and they're still doing it, I will have to be out there for 3+ hours to see all my kids run when Megan is in 4th grade.  Fingers crossed for great weather on whatever day that may fall on in 4 years.  

We went to the mall that day after school to play and have an early dinner. Megan was still wearing her Boosterthon Fun Run shirt and a few other kids commented on it. One boy asked when their run was and thought it was just cool that she had already done it. Another boy said he liked her shirt! My 5 year old was the most popular kid at the mall!  :-)   She was so excited but those boys need to stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment